WARNING! Why Commercial Laundry Soap is So Toxic
And How Most Laundry Soap Can Seriously Damage Your Health…
Laundry soap is a staple in most households, playing a Crucial Role in keeping your family’s clothes clean and fresh. So, why do we focus more attention on its cleaning capabilities, than on the serious health risks associated with laundry soap, including the presence of carcinogenic chemicals that pose significant dangers to our health and well-being?
By Greg Montoya
In this short article, I’ll cover the top 5 hidden health dangers of using laundry soap – from skin irritation to respiratory problems; and provide you with tips on how to mitigate these risks for you and your family.
HIDDEN DANGER #1 Skin Sensitivities and Allergic Reactions
Many conventional laundry soaps contain harsh chemicals, toxic fragrances, and poisonous dyes that can irritate the skin, leading to allergies and sensitivities. For example, sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and sodium laureth sulfate (SLES) are very dangerous toxins known to strip away the skin’s natural oils and disrupt its protective barrier. This can result in dryness, itching, rashes, and even dermatitis; it can also weaken your immune system leaving you susceptible to a wide range of diseases, including wreaking havoc on your endocrine system causing fertility issues, especially in men.
Solution: opt for fragrance-free and hypoallergenic laundry soaps specifically formulated for sensitive skin; consider natural alternatives that use natural plant-based ingredients void of harsh chemicals.
HIDDEN DANGER #2 Respiratory Issues
Certain laundry soaps emit volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which can greatly contribute to indoor air pollution. The fragrances and chemicals released during the washing process can irritate the respiratory system, triggering symptoms such as coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, and even asthma attacks. Note: people with pre-existing respiratory conditions are particularly vulnerable.
Solution: Again, choose fragrance-free laundry soaps. Ventilate the laundry area by opening windows or using exhaust fans during washing and drying.
HIDDEN DANGER #3 Environmental Impact
Conventional laundry soaps often contain phosphates, surfactants, and other dangerous chemicals that can have a detrimental impact on the environment. When these substances enter water bodies, they contribute to water pollution, harm aquatic life, and severely disrupt ecosystems which impact the food you eat.
Solution: Look for eco-friendly laundry soaps that are labeled as biodegradable, phosphate-free, and contain minimal synthetic ingredients. Consider using laundry soap alternatives like soap nuts, which are derived from natural plant sources.
HIDDEN DANGER #4 Chemical Residue on Clothes
The chemicals present in laundry soap can leave residue on clothes, even after rinsing multiple times, which then can come into direct contact with your skin throughout the day. Prolonged exposure to these residues may lead to skin irritations and sensitivities, especially for individuals with heightened susceptibility.
“Remember, what goes onto your skin… goes into your blood stream!”
Solution: Rinse clothes thoroughly after washing to minimize chemical residue. Also, consider using an extra rinse cycle or opt for laundry soaps specifically designed to leave minimal or no residue.
HIDDEN DANGER #5 Impact on the Microbiome
The skin is home to a diverse ecosystem of beneficial bacteria that form our microbiome. Harsh laundry soaps can disrupt the balance of this microbiome, potentially leading to issues like dry skin, eczema, and other skin conditions.
Solution: Use only natural plant-based, chemical-free detergents.
Top 13 Most Harmful Chemicals to Look Out For!
The following is a list of the 13 most common, extremely harmful and dangerous (carcinogenic) chemicals found in laundry detergent products – and just a few of their negative effects on your body…
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate & Sodium Laureth Sulfate / Sodium Lauryl Ether Sulfate (SLS / SLES) – damages skin, eyes, lungs and endocrine system
- Phosphates – linked to cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis, and death
- Formaldehyde – a preservative that can cause throat swelling and chemical burns to the lungs
- Chlorine Bleach – a significant skin and lung irritant
- Ammonium Sulfate – a Category 3 oral, skin, and respiratory toxin
- Dioxane (1, 4 Dioxane / Diethylene Dioxide / Diethylene Ether / Dioxane) – can spontaneously combust; and can cause skin, eye, and lung inflammation (some irreversible)
- Optical Brighteners / UV Brighteners – an eye, skin, and lung irritant that is also extremely toxic to aquatic life
- Ammonium Quaternary Sanitizers (Quats / Synthesized Cationic Surfactants) – causes eye, skin, and lung damage
- Nonylphenol Ethoxylates (Nonoxynol, NPEs) – prolonged exposure to these inhaled fumes or mist can be fatal!
- Harsh Fragrance (Unspecified / Parfum) – chemical sensitivity, allergic reactions, lung irritation and rashes
- Toxic Dyes – proven carcinogens and most are endocrine disruptors that can lead to infertility
- Benzyl Acetate – damages the kidneys and nervous system
- Dichlorobenzene (P-Dichlorobenzene / Benzene) – causes optical damage
SAFER Laundry Soap Options to Check Out…
Choose laundry soaps that are free from the antibacterial agents and harsh chemicals noted above. These milder options are safer and less likely to damage the natural balance and health of your body.
For example, here are 10 Safer Laundry Soap Options to consider:
- Earth Breeze Eco Sheets
- Blueland Laundry
- Meliora Laundry Powder
- Truly Free Signature Scent Laundry Wash
- Molly’s Suds Laundry Detergent Pods
- Happi Earth
- Tru Earth
- Dropps Stain and Odor Detergent
- Grab Green Laundry Pods
- Seventh Generation Laundry Detergent
You Can Influence Soap Manufacturers Simply by Choosing More Wisely Where You Spend Your Money!
While laundry soap is essential for maintaining cleanliness and hygiene, it’s crucial to be aware of the many potential health risks associated with conventional soap. By understanding the above dangers, and by making better buying decisions, you can protect yourself and your loved ones from unnecessary exposure to harmful chemicals that can destroy your and their health, leading to a wide range of diseases, up to and including cancer, brain and nerve damage, just to name a few.
Opting for natural, gentle, fragrance-free, and eco-friendly alternatives can go a long way in ensuring your well-being, while still achieving clean and fresh laundry.
Remember: Prioritize your family’s health by making informed choices when it comes to selecting the right laundry soap for your family’s household.